Ah, chocolate! It is the king of desserts without a doubt. And why not? It makes everything better! But quality chocolate has a stringent process. You can’t just make it with your eyes shut. Chocolatiers will agree with us when we say this – chocolate making is an art.
Professionals who work with chocolate need what we call “workable chocolate.” To achieve this, they must use a process called tempering. This is where tempering machines come into the picture.
In our article, we shall talk about the process and the best chocolate tempering machine you can purchase today. Keep reading!
What does tempering mean?
Tempering may also be referred to as pre-crystallization. When a piece of chocolate is tempered, the cocoa butter stabilizes through crystallization and the end product is smooth as satin. The perfectly tempered chocolate will snap loudly when broken. That’s the sweet sound of success! Another benefit of tempering chocolate is that it makes it easy to unmold because it contracts upon cooling.
Why must you temper chocolate properly?
When tempered correctly, it is irresistible. But when you do it wrong, you will end up with a grey, unappetizing gloss that you will throw away. It will be unusable.
How to use a chocolate tempering machine?
We are not going to sugarcoat this – chocolate tempering is hard. But, the right machine will take some of the pain away. Here’s how you can use one –
- Use the chocolate tempering machine to melt the chocolate. If you are using dark chocolate, the temperature should be 45 degrees first and then come down to 31 degrees C. If you are using milk or white chocolate, increase it to 45 degrees and then bring it down to 29 degrees C. The idea is to ensure that the chocolate is completely melted.
- Now, you should cool it down while stirring it. It should reach 26-27 degrees C.
- After achieving this temperature, you can transfer it to your desired mold so that it sets.
If you have never tempered chocolate before, it may take you a few attempts before you can do it properly. Don’t be disheartened! It is an exciting process and the minute you do it right, you will rejoice!
Choosing the best chocolate tempering machine
As is the case with everything else, there are many different types of chocolate tempering machines in the market today. The choice is likely to leave you confused! This is why it is ideal to have a checklist to compare popular models against. Here’s ours –
- Chocolate settings: There are manual and pre-programmed machines that you can pick from. If you are confident about tempering chocolate, you can choose the manual ones. Otherwise, a pre-programmed one is good for beginners.
- Size: If you want a machine only for home use, you can buy a small machine. For professional use, you will need one with more capacity.
- Temperature: Tempering chocolate is all about getting the temperature right. This is why the machine you choose should have a good display with clear temperature controls.
- Features: Important features include suitable control buttons, display, control panel, and durable build.
- Price: There are many affordable and quality chocolate tempering machines that you can choose from. Unless you are going to temper chocolate for a living, you are not going to need a high-end, expensive model.
Best chocolate tempering machine – Our favorites
Let’s get right down to business now and go through a few of the top chocolate tempering machines in the market today.
1. Revolation – Chocolate Tempering Machine
Let’s start with Amazon’s Choice! This chocolate tempering machine is a favorite among chocolatiers because it is very easy to use and has a plethora of features such as the following:
- It is NSF approved.
- You can adjust the temperature manually up to 120 degrees. Under melting mode, it allows 100 degrees.
- The machine has clear LED display, making it easy for you to follow.
- It also has a full-automated micro-processor that uses forced hot air.
- Its capacity is 5 lbs. but with the holey baffle, it goes up to 9 lbs.
2. ChocoVision Chocolate Tempering Machine – New Mini Rev
Here’s another good option from ChocoVision. This is an excellent home chocolate tempering machine, which has many attractive features. Let’s take a look at a few:
- It can temper 1 ½ pounds of chocolate at once. If you have baffles, you can temper 2 pounds.
- The bowl is made of stainless steel. You can remove it with ease for cleaning purposes.
- You can temper chocolate in around 30 minutes.
- The tempering happens effectively thanks to the fully automatic micro-processor.
- The tabletop tempering machine really makes the process fun and easy.
3. Cuisinart Electric Fondue Maker
This is a multi-purpose machine that you can use to temper chocolate, make fondue, cheese, broth, etc. You can also use it as a double boiler based on your requirements. Here are some of its top features:
- It is a complete set that includes 8 fondue forks, a temperature probe, a bowl, a base, and a fork rack.
- The bowl has a non-stick interior and is made of stainless steel. Its capacity is 3 quartz.
- The temperature probe has 8 settings, enabling you to make various things.
- It requires 1000 watts of power.
- The fork ring is also made of stainless steel.
- The fondue maker comes with a limited warranty of 3 years.
4. Chocolate Tempering Machine from Hilliard’s
The Hilliard’s chocolate tempering machine is suitable for home use and commercial purposes. You will love using it especially if you are a beginner for the following reasons:
- It is a stainless steel machine with a capacity of 25 lbs. per day.
- It requires 400 watts.
- It is a small machine and that’s why it is easy to use and store.
- It is NSF certified.
- You can use blocks of chocolate or discs based on your preference. It melts them all!
5. ALDKitchen Chocolate Melting Pot
This machine is available as a single or double pot option depending on your needs. For home use, we think the single pot one will suffice. Here’s why you should buy it:
- It is powerful and very efficient. It can actually temper chocolate within 20 minutes!
- It is a manually controlled machine with a stainless steel body.
- It is 1 KW powered.
- It has two knobs – temperature control and power on/off/
- It is ideal for commercial use as well but we recommend the two pot variant for it.
- The temperature adjustment is between 30 and 85 degrees C.
6. Chocolate Melting Set – NutriChef
Those who are looking for an affordable option will absolutely love this chocolate melting machine. It has a compact design, well-suited for home purpose. Below are a few more details:
- The machine has a 25 W heating element.
- The warming temperature it allows is 40 degrees C and the melting temperature is 60 degrees C.
- It has been designed for home usage so that you whip up some amazing treats instantly.
- The pot is made of aluminum and the hot plate has food-grade construction for 100% safety.
- The melting pot comes with a spatula, a hot plate, molds, plastic forks, and a draining rack.
7. NutriChef – Electric Chocolate Fondue Maker
Those who are looking for a high-powered chocolate tempering machine will love this one! It is a 1000-watt fondue maker with a number of attractive features. Let’s see what they are:
- You can use it for multiple reasons such as fondue, chocolate, cheese, and butter.
- The bowl is removable and doubles as a serving bowl. It is made of tough stainless steel and is heat-resistant. It is also non-stick.
- You have 4 temperature adjustments to choose from.
- The LED indicator will let you know when the pot is hot enough for use.
- The pot comes with 6 dipping forks.
You can pick any of the above options and we are positive that you will be happy! These machines demystify the chocolate tempering process and make it fun. All you have to do now is to check your favorite and buy it. Make sure you keep your long-term requirements in mind so that you use your machine for many months to come.
If you have any doubts or concerns regarding the tempering process or any machine, please let us know through comments.