Do you also run out of the sweetened condensed milk while making desserts? Don’t worry we are in the same boat. I don’t know how but I always realize that I do not have the canned condensed milk in the refrigerator while making desserts. So for such times, I make sure that I have evaporated milk handy at least to make the condensed milk at home.
How to Make Sweetened Condensed Milk with Evaporated Milk?
Many people get confused between evaporated milk and condensed milk. They think both are the same and can be used as substitutes. Well, that is not the case. Both types of milk are different, and their uses are also different. Evaporated milk is boiled milk with no water and no sugar whereas the condensed milk is sweet because it has sugar. Condensed milk has 40-45% sugar. So in this article, I will share the easy recipe to make the sweetened condensed milk from the evaporated milk step-by-step.
For making sweetened condensed milk from evaporated milk
Evaporated milk – 1 cup or 12 ounce
Granulated sugar – 1 ½ cup
Vanilla extract – ½ teaspoon
- Take the evaporated milk out of the refrigerator. Pour it into a saucepan.
- Add 1 and a half cups of granulated sugar for every one cup of evaporated milk. Be precise with the measurements. Combine the sugar and milk in the pan on the gas.
- Keep the flame of the gas on medium and start stirring the milk and sugar. For adding an excellent flavor to the condensed milk, you can half a teaspoon of the vanilla extract to it.
- Let the milk and sugar boil it for 20-25 minutes. Keep stirring the milk as it prevents the milk from burning or overflowing out of the pan.
- Check for the consistency now and then after 15 minutes. Sometimes it takes a little less than 25 minutes to condense the milk. The time taken to condense the evaporated milk depends on how long the milk was evaporated previously.
- Once the consistency is perfect and thick, turn off the flame.
- Let it cool down and then store it in a container in the fridge for future use.
Such an easy method, no? While some people might be wondering about the use of having both evaporated milk and condensed milk. The reason is that the evaporated milk is used in dishes or desserts because it adds creaminess and richness to the dishes due to its high content of milk. It doesn’t have any flavor but helps in enhancing the texture of the meal. While the condensed milk is used to add sweetness to the desserts due to its high sugar content, it also goes well as a gooey dip for some sweets.
For making sweetened condensed milk from milk
I know not everyone has evaporated milk available in their pantry. The good news is that you can make condensed milk from the milk also. Yes, you read it right. The process might take a long time, but then all good things take time, don’t they? The process of making condensed milk from milk can take upto 2 hours. I am writing the procedure to make the condensed milk from milk too in this article. Find the recipe below:
- Take 1 cup of milk in the saucepan and combine it with 1 and a half cup of granulated sugar like the previous recipe.
- Keep the flame on medium and let the milk boil. Once it starts boiling reduce it’s flame to low.
- Keep stirring the milk till it reduces to half.
- Then add a ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract and two tablespoons of butter.
- Check the consistency and store it in the refrigerator after transferring it in the container.
Now you have the recipe to make sweetened condensed milk with evaporated milk and milk as well. I hope this article helps you to make homemade condensed milk that you can use for making some fantastic desserts. Make sure you store it properly in the fridge.